Electronic Identity Document Scanning in the NHS
We’re a leading provider of electronic document verification solutions to the public sector and our ID scanning solutions already help more than 30 NHS Trusts to validate identity documents.
The use of TrustID document scanners has become an integral part of our audit trail, therefore positively contributing to our safer recruitment practices.
Hilary Oliver, Recruitment Manager, Central and North West London NHS Foundation
There are many benefits to electronic document scanning solutions compared to a manual check and photocopy:
- Scanning provides a single, consistent process across the organisation for all staff who are required to check identity.
- When an organisation publicises the use of scanners and applicants are notified that identity scanning software is used, this deters those individuals who may seek employment using false documentation.
- A scanning application eliminates the need to photocopy and store paper copies of documents which greatly eases the administrative burden on staff. It also means that records are easily accessible for future reference and auditing purposes.
- Using scanning technology enables an HR team to demonstrate their compliance with the NHS Employment Check Standards for Right to Work and identity validation to a higher degree. This, in turn, gives the CQC and the immigration authorities’ reassurance of recruitment practices.
- With a consistent process which can highlight illegal documentation, the risk of having to prosecute staff is much lower. The associated prosecution costs and the possibility of NHSLA litigation premiums are also reduced as a consequence.
- With ever-increasing levels of sophistication, an electronic solution protects your recruitment administrators who would otherwise have to bear the burden of identifying fraudulent documentation.
- With scanning software, staff can be trained on how to use the solution and don’t need training updates on how to check new or updated national identity documents.
- If users identify a suspect document, TrustID provides a Document Helpdesk to help staff review the suspect document, offering an additional level of support to NHS staff.
By utilising TrustID technology, we are able to verify a person’s identity and documentation quickly and efficiently to a standard far superior than the naked eye. The kit is easy to use and results are displayed clearly, allowing for easy interpretation and escalation where necessary. It is a valuable tool which assists the Trust in complying with recruitment standards as well as preventing and detecting identity fraud.
Rebecca Napper, Counter Fraud & Corruption Specialist, Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust